Monday, May 2, 2011

Meet Samantha Walker

A little about me:
I suspect that I was born with a box of crayons in my mouth. I have been coloring, drawing, painting and creating for as long as I can remember. I was formally educated at BYU and received a BFA in Illustration Design. I feel lucky to have a variety of design opportunities to challenge my thirst for trying new things. You can find my designs and illustrations on fabric for Riley Blake Designs, scrapbook products for Creative Imaginations, home decor for VIP International (Rodworks), rubber stamps for Unity Stamp Co as well as digital (Silhouette America) and manual cutting dies for Spellbinders.

Influences:
I'm just a girl who loves pretty things, and bright fun color combos. I have a soft spot for anything funky and sometimes a little punky (probably my 80's teen years coming back to taunt me.) One of my favorite pastimes is shopping at second hand stores where I get excited to find one of a kind treasures. I swoon over vintage clothes, and retro toys. I adore trinkets that remind me of a happy past. My designs can't help but reflect my loves as they are little pieces of me.

Fabric:
I am thrilled to be designing fabric for Riley Blake Designs. It's been a dream of mine to enter into the field of fabric design and I'm loving every minute of it--the people at Riley Blake are fabulous! I figured with designing fabric, it was high time I learned to sew. I've always had a great admiration for those that do, and I can see that it is extremely beneficial to know how sewers think when putting together my fabric collections. I have to admit that I was rather intimidated to learn at first, but I think my sewing friends have gotten me hooked, and it's now at the top of my hobby list. I'm sharing with you the Easter Dress that I made for my little girl this year out of my Wanna Be a Cowboy 1 and
2 collections as well as green tone on tone for My Mind's Eye Quite Contrary. It was so fun to see her wear it with a smile on her face. The pattern is Feliz designed by Nancy Langdon. I modified the dress a bit by adding the top pink ruffle to the bodice and the scalloped green ruffle at the bottom. The applique designs are mine. Applique design has been my favorite part of sewing as I love designing silhouetted shapes, and I adore how they can be so stunning when they are cut out of a pretty fabric. This new found interest has sparked an idea to put together some applique patterns in the future for fun little projects. I hope that is something I will be sharing with you very soon.

4 comments:

grandmarockton said...

BEAUTIFUL!

a little bit biased said...

Wow! That outfit is AMAZING!! Good job! See you soon!

Amber Johnson
Gigi's Thimble

Madame Samm said...

I would love to wear that dress...
your wee buglet is a jewel....

Solimanka said...

Great dress!!! I wanna the samne foe my daughter ))