Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mary Quite Contrary

Hi, my name is Mary Cowan I have a quilt pattern company called Mary’s Cottage Quilts. It is named after my family cottage in upstate New York. I am originally from Rochester, New York but have called Utah home for about 22 years now.

I began quilting about 19 years ago when my husband made a huge mistake and surprised me with the book Quilts, Quilts, Quilts (he is still kicking himself) I studied that book so carefully and wanted to make every quilt in there. I started taking classes at a local quilt shop and I was hooked! I think it is so important to take classes when you are a beginner, that way you can learn from other people and get some great instruction so you won’t make a lot of mistakes and get discouraged and give up.

I started working at a local quilt shop and really learned a ton about the whole quilt making process. It was about that time when I started designing my own patterns too. Marilyn, at Elaine’s Quilt Block gave me my “big break” when she bought 6 of my very first pattern – I thought that was the coolest thing ever! From there the whole pattern making experience just evolved into Mary’s Cottage Quilts. I have about 82 patterns that are all available on the website www.maryscottagequilts.com.

I have a book debuting at Spring Market called COLORFUL STASH BUSTERS and I am so excited to share all of the quilts in the book with you! They will all be on display in my booth # 1742 at market!!

I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree specializing in graphic design from the Rochester Institute of Technology. I love to combine a couple of simple blocks and watch the secondary pattern that is created when two blocks “touch”.

I think my first love is color!! I love the bright colors but as soon as I say that, I’ll find a Civil War reproduction fabric or a soft pink or two that I just have to have!! I don’t really stick to one color scheme or theme but I do have my favorites – red & yellow would be right up there!

It is a great feeling to create a quilt pattern that other quilters can get excited about and want to make for their family. I feel that if I can get others excited to choose fabric and make something that can be a family heirloom to them then I have succeeded in my goal.

Please stop by and visit me in my booth # 1742. You will be able to see all the quilts from my book along with some new patterns and I would love to meet all of you!

Mary

I will also be having a giveaway on my blog www.maryscottagequilts.blogspot.com very soon so stay tuned!

1 comments:

Madame Samm said...

What a lovely story of your passion that seems sew evident Mary...to a wonderful show...all dolled up seems sew me....