Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Holt the phone...


We are excited to introduce you to Lori Holt of Bee in my Bonnet.....


I grew up in a small town on a small farm in a quilting and sewing family.
I loved to spend most of my time climbing trees and riding on tractors or herding the sheep. I really just loved being outdoors among the flowers, pastures and farm animals.
Most of my neighbors consisted of my grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins so we are a very close family and I consider myself very lucky.
All of my designs are inspired by all things vintage, my family and my childhood memories.
I come by my creativity honestly as I was surrounded by everything made on our own. We were a very self sufficient bunch. At our home..if we needed it...we grew it or built it.


By profession...my father was a mechanical engineer and a rocket scientist. He also grew very large gardens and took care of our farm. He was always fixing or designong or building something and as a young girl i often played at his desk with graph paper and special rulers for design...I still play with both of these almost every day!
My mother says I was practically born with a needle in my hand and that I was her creative, happy go lucky child. She says that from a very early age she could tell that my whole world revolved around drawing, nature, color and design.
As a baby I would lay on my great grandmothers double wedding ring quilt that she had made for my mother as a wedding gift... and i would just stare at the fabric and pet it.
She also said i refused to wear any hairbands or barrettes unless they were the perfect color match to my clothes...something that she wondered why i was so stubborn about.
The first 4 children in my family were girls of which i am the youngest...however later 4 brothers and 2 more sisters came along!

My mother sewed most of our clothes and she also was inspired to turn us first four girls into a singing group called "The Sisters 4"...and sewed us several matching costumes to wear when we performed.
Most of our other dresses that she sewed for us were matching and because i was the youngest...i had to wear the hand me downs and it seemed like i wore the same dress forever!!!
Both of my grandmothers along with my mother taught me how to sew, embroidery, crochet and quilt when i was very young. It seemed we always had a quilt on the frames in my house of my grandmothers house.
Both of my grandmothers have been an inspiration to much of my work and i feel lucky to still have both of them in my life...one at the age of 96 and one at 98.

I married my childhood sweetheart after graduating high school and we have been married 30 years. we have been blessed with 2 sons and a daughter and also a grandaughter!
I have been designing for 28 years....I established my quilt pattern company called Bee in my Bonnet in 1994....before that I designed Tole Painting books for Provo Craft for 12 years. I am so excited to now be designing fabric...my first love according to my mother!


I love working with Riley Blake and I am so happy to be a part of thier design team.
When I am not quilting....I love to decorate my home with my vintage finds...i still love the outdoors and being in my garden growing vegetables, flowers and old roses. I enjoy camping and fishing with my family in our old trailer.
I love good music and to read good books..and i pretty much love to craft just about anything that keeps my hands busy! I enjoy being in my studio every day and I never run out of ideas or get tired of creating.
I also love being in kitchen with my family and in the sewing room with my daughter.
I am especially fond of my friends and of our quilting retreats and get togethers.

4 comments:

Zemphira ~ Scatter Art. said...

What a lovely interview, and such wonderful work!

a little bit biased said...

That was really fun to get to know you a little bit more, Lori! You're wonderful and an inspiration and a friend. I love everything that you design. See you soon!

Samantha Walker said...

Love your style...so much fun!

QuiltSoup said...

Hope this means I will finally be able to meet you in the flesh! I'm a big fan!